Monday, March 09, 2009

Sarawak Anthem

I am not sure how many of us may remember this, but in 1988 (our Form 5 year), Sarawak changed its state anthem.

From 1973 to 1988 the state anthem was "Sarawak Bahagia" and it went something like this:


Then from 1998 onwards it was "Ibu Pertiwiku", and it went something like this:


Somehow I preferred the newer version better, I found it more moving and sentimental :)


Just as a side note, for me coming from Sarawak to KL during the late 80's felt like going into a different country, everything was just so different. Now, as I watched the video of the anthem, I felt homesick and long once again for that place I have called home in my youth.

6 comments:

Mr Tee said...

Pulanglah anak...pulang lah! Banyak dah balik. Cuma tinggal 1 atau 2 aje.

Ir. Hanafi Ali said...

I prefer the older version. We sang that weekly and it sounds (to me) better. The newer version sounds corny, and to use one pejorative Malay word, sounds "jiwang".

Ir. Hanafi Ali said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ir. Hanafi Ali said...

Oh but the secessionist in me does not like the last sentence in the older version.

Anonymous said...

Er.... I like the old one much better. If you sing the old version quickly, it felt very rousing. The 1st time I sung the new version, I was like huh, every friends felt it was flat especially the final part. And I always felt that the lyrics writer of the new one for the 1st 2 lines must be having writer's block. Listen to it understand what I'm saying.

Ivy said...

I had such a good laugh when I played the older version....didn't even remember that I can sing that anthem. And oh how patriotic I felt just hearing the music!

I like the older version, too. And Mr Tee is right, the 1st & 2nd line of the new version - apa lah!