Monday, October 27, 2008

Reunion With Cikgu Ong

It all started when Cikgu Ong found our blog.

Next thing we knew, he was on Facebook as well!  That's how we found out that he's now staying in Alor Gajah, his hometown.

A few weeks ago, I mooted the idea of visiting him to Stephen Chung and Heroes.  They were a bit aphrehensive at first, but I convinced them the journey will not take too long, and that we can do it sometime during the Deepavali weekend.

I sms'ed Cikgu Ong of our intentions.  Not only was he most welcoming, he took the trouble to work out a map for us to follow.

At the last minute, Chuan Ming decided to join us as well by driving over from Bahau via Tampin, so I mms'ed him the map.

And so on Deepavali morning, we took a quick breakfast at Puchong and set off for the Simpang Ampat toll on the NSE.  Getting there from Puchong took us only 50 minutes, and along the way we had an impromptu karaoke session in the car of old Mandarin songs, just to put us in the mood, hehe :)

From Simpang Ampat, it was a matter of following the map given, and after about 15 minutes we made a left turn to Machap Baru.  At that time we found out that Chuan Ming was just right behind us.  After another 5 minutes or so, we reached Machap Umboo.  A left turn after the Pondok Polis, 50 more metres down the road and we were greeted by a smiling Cikgu Ong.

He hasn't aged at all!


He remembered all our names except for Stephen Chung, but he managed to recall it after a few minutes.  :)

For some of us, it's been 20 years since we last saw him.  He was actually still in SHS until 1998, when he got a scholarship to do his Masters at USM.  After graduation, he taught at Raja Uda Penang until early this year, when he came back to Melaka.


After some time catching up, we noticed some old SHS annual magazines sitting on one of the shelves.  So out they came, together with photos that Cikgu Ong took at SHS.  The photos were mostly taken in the classrooms and some school functions. It was amazing he still remembers the names of almost all the students that he taught in those days.


We adjourned for lunch at a nearby restaurant.  Being the gentleman that he is, he refused to let me pay for lunch :P

As we made our way back later, we thought about the reunion we just had with a teacher who had  touched our lives in many different ways.  How he had encouraged us and planted the seeds for us to become who we are today.  We are forever thankful for his presence in our lives.

Last but not least, we have an open invitation to visit him again during the next rambutan season!  But if anyone wants to pay him a visit before that, we can organize another trip again soon :)

Photos courtesy of Cikgu Ong and his new Nikon D60 :)

8 comments:

mygreatbuds said...

He is definitely younger than the 3 "old men" sitting in front. I bet many will agree with me.

He is definitely still have the same look but a bit meaty and fairer now.

Which one is his wife ? (The one look like our lovely one ? How about the kids ?

Hmm...I book one place for the next trip !!!

William said...

Who is the photographer?

Anonymous said...

Heroes, you have not been paying attention lately!

In the 2nd photo, others were engaged in the conversation with cikgu but you were busy with your gadget.

what gadget did you "play play" there?

Heroes said...

MGB, oh yes, I do agreed with you that Cikgu Ong is definitely look younger than those sitting on the floor except the middle one, some correction done... hehe..

Cikgu Ong's wife was not in the photos. The one sit beside Cikgu Ong is Pat's wife and daugther. The other lady is Chuan Ming's wife.

Joe, please give a chance to defense myself here. I did pay attention that time, it just happened at that particular seconds moment while Cikgu Ong's brother took this pic and showed I was not paying attention in the 'class'... again!! Like what I have done in one of Cikgu's Ong collections... Maaf Cikgu... Hahahaha..

Joe, in fact I was preparing my camera for the photo shooting later...

So now MGB is confirmed joining the next trip.... anyone out there wish to follow?? Joe?

Ir. Hanafi Ali said...

Planted the seeds *and* the chalks also, heheheh.

Mr Tee said...

oh ho ho..hansac reminded me of Cikgu Ong's iconic weapon....flying dagger (chalk lah!!!) for those students who are not paying attention.

Hmmm...got to thank him bcos of those flying chalks we are who we are today.

MGB, KK not yet done but already mapped Melaka. How to keep up with u??

Nice photo taken!

Anonymous said...

Just drop in the blog after being away for some time. My family and I are very touched by your presence here at our place.
MGB, thanks for your kind words. You are most welcome here at parent's place in Melaka. As for my family, you can view their photos in Facebook. My wife is from Sematan area in Sarawak.
Well Hansac and mr tee, the "un"identifying flying objects maybe were out of zealousness. I would like to say sorry to have use such intimidating approach to get your attention in class. Now I have learned to use more humane approach. More patience and always believe that there is something good in everyone even though when all is not well with him or her.
Alas! Stephen Chung has put on so much that I have difficulty to recall him. I remember most of earlier batch of students. Through Facebook I manage to contact a number of you all.
Thanks Pat for making the effort to make your way to meet me.

Ir. Hanafi Ali said...

Cikgu,

I do not think you should apologize for any theatrics you employed during the education of us. I am a firm believer in all things moderate: All things has to be in moderation. In your case, it was a moderate thing, these flying chalks. I also believe in corporal punishment (gasp!), administered in a transparent way, maybe I am old-school that way.

I believe we need both Cikgu Ongs: of the past and of current. In the past you were "zealous", certain situations do require certain methods. Now you are wiser, there is an audience for that, too.

There is a place for everything and everything in its place. I do not want to be condescending, but I owe my life to my teachers, regardless of who they are or in what form they may be (age/race/religion): the good of them, the bad of them, and the flying-chalks of them.