Monday, August 31, 2009

Merdeka - what does it mean to you ?

Today, I have been reading a lot merdeka messages from the newspapers, online news both main stream and alternative streams. It is contrary messages from the ruling government and alternative front. Of course, it is normal but for the true merdeka spirit, what does it means really to us ?

A birthday of our nation has a lot of meaning as to our own birthday too! How many of us sing NegaraKu these few days ? (Ah hem...I did !). Do you still feel proud when singing the song ? (with bulu roma tegak ?) If not something is very wrong here. Let's be clear here and I hope you will agree...the height or depth of the prosperity of our nation depends much on the sum total of each Rakyat's true love and support .

Personally, Merdeka means a lot to me...I am a free man and have my rights under the Constitution to do what I wish in achieving my Malaysian dream for the past 37 years !

It is also an appreciation for our forefathers fighting for our freedom especially against the Japanese, Communists and British. It also means that I do not need to go to war or live in fear like some of the other countries in the Middle East or Africa. I dare not imagine if Malaysia is in such a state to live in.

Whilst enjoying the freedom, I do acknowledge the threats of peace within our neighbourhood such as injustice, racial sentiments, in balance distribution of wealth, corrupt leaders and negative external forces. I pray for the resilience and intelligence of our Leaders from both BN and PR to strive for the common good of our beloved Malaysia. The differences in party understanding is norm among the political front (competition makes the community strong) but do not let it be the difference of our understanding to protect our true "Merdeka" from all the threats.

Merdeka ! Merdeka! Merdeka ! Let the shout of Tunku Abdul Rahman always lives in our mind, heart and soul !

2 comments:

Mr Tee said...

Unless the politicians show maturity in the doing or else who cares abt MERDEKA.

Spit!

Ivy said...

I'm no political analyst, by far. I don't like politics. I don't know what politics is about. I am just a citizen in a country.

ANY citizen in ANY country wants the same things. I do not yet know a country with a perfect political scenario. Neither do I know one with perfect politicians, yet.

This IS my country, good or bad. This IS the land where my parents had the opportunity to bring me up in peace & harmony. Whether the "politicians show maturity"....or not, I refuse to teach the next generation to belittle the true spirit of MERDEKA.

And that true spirit is what Yasmin Ahmad had always touched us with, in her many Petronas commercials. In loving memory of Yasmin Ahmad.