Thursday, March 27, 2008

2nd Sibu Boy Scouts & Girl Guides


Calling out to all 2nd Sibu Troop scouts and 2nd Sibu Company girl guides! An e-community site has been set up by one of our seniors (Thomas Ngu Sing Hieng) especially for the 2nd Sibu Group at www.2ndsibu.org Please self-register at the website to log in.

Plans are on the way to organise a reunion for all SHS/SES boy scouts/girl guides to be held on the 1st day of CNY 2009, 26th January. So far, I've only seen 2 other names from my year, so I'm on a desperate search for my comrades once again!

For the information of those who were neither a scout or a guide, SHS and SES scouts and guides were a tighlty knitted group back then, both coincidentally being the 2nd Troop and 2nd Company respectively in Sibu. We always had a lot of joint activities together and the traditional annual Christmas Gathering was always a highlight of the year. There were joint trips, joint campfires, joint outings...you name it. Some even joined in holy matrimony!

The above photo was taken in 1987 (I think) after the Inter-School Sports event (again, I think). Look at Thadeus' and Soon Shu's modeling skills!

12 comments:

Ir. Hanafi Ali said...

Bloody chicken wing!!! I was not in the picture!!!

Samuel Tan Yan Pheng! Ha ha. To this day I remember his name.

mygreatbuds said...

Talking about Samo Tan, I just met him at the Kuching airport...actually saw his wife first as the face seems familiar...then only saw Samo...pretty old face oledi but still recognise me :)

At one time, I use to see him fishing prawns at Kenyalang Park...fishing from a made man concrete pond in a shophouse. Funny,...I only saw this sort of activities in Kuching back in 1997...

John Fam said...

Ivy,
Thanks for the photo.
I had registered many times, but I still don't see my name on the list. Furthermore, I cannot leave message like SHS blog. Please do the connection for me.

John Fam 019-7118831

Ivy said...

Hi John, the website administrator is supposed to send you an e-mail to add you into the members list after your self registration, let me check for you.

Anonymous said...

Will someone knowledgeable please explain the reason for all the different uniforms.

John Fam said...

Well, the first sitting row is boy scout, follow by girl guide, then police cadet while 4th row is army cadet and final row is red crescent on the left ( in white ) and boy brigade on the right. These guys were from various school - SHS, St E, Methodist etc. Am i right, Ivy ?

Ivy said...

Yup, JF is right. But I really can't quite remember WHY all the different uniform bodies were taking a group photo together, it rarely happens.

Anonymous said...

If my memory do not fail me this time, i remembered on that day we were asked to form a guard of honour for inspection by the then DCM Dr Wong Soon Kai (i think) who came to officiate the local Teacher's Day function (or something like that) which was held at SHS school hall.

Ir. Hanafi Ali said...

Ted:

You like to preface your statement with a disqualifier all the time kah.

mygreatbuds said...

Usual Pak Hansac, lawyer always like to use protection clause.

The English is normally extraordinary...pusing-pusing...sometime they just cannot be straightforward due to these protection clauses.

Politicians also like to have it... no wonder our Duli-Duli is using the priviledges to the fullest in the recent post GE12.

mygreatbuds said...

Actually Joe & I were supposed to be inside the picture wearing those similar white uniform (if not because...sigh...)

Heroes said...

MGB, if not because of what??? mind to share of your disappointment of not in the pic???