Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Blood Donation now & Organ Donation in Pipeline

My first blood donation was way back in 1990, the moment I was eligible to have that big needle draining 450ml from my veins. I have since donated 60 times for the past 17 years plus and by calculation based on the maximum age allowable plus with good health condition, I can give another 88 times (provided no lapses in between).

Lately, I am interested to learn more about organ donation (other than blood) especially there has been free movement to promote such noble acts. I personally felt that it is a worthwhile act the least when we are longer able to live on and any parts of our organ that can still be usable to other needy patients, they can still continue their fruitful journey. Frankly, I still have the fear and yet to discuss with my family members on how they felt about this organ donation ? For blood...no issue as my father encourages me and he was the one who brought for the "maiden" draining session at the legendary Lowe King Howe Hospital, Sibu back then.

Any one of you had already pledged ? May be you can share the experience and encourage me and the rest.

Anyone wanted to have this pledge together ? (of course only after I have consent from my parents/wife..hehehe less chaos later in need).

BTW, my next blood donation is due on 4th May 2008 (3 months after the last drip) and I am thinking of organising small joint blood donation among friends at the Kuching General Hospital. Anyone interested ?

Remember, our blood can save many lives and bring hope to many...

11 comments:

William said...

I have been an orgon donor since I was 18. Go for it.

Ir. Hanafi Ali said...

I salute you greatbuds!

One of the (many) reasons I enlisted in the army reserve unit was so that when people ask me why I would not donate my blood, I can reply to them saying I have am donating my life to the country!

But actually I am just scared of needles.

Heroes said...

Blood donation together...yeah thats a good idea. Count me in. I am not a frequent blood donor and only donate for about 10 or 11 times, much more less than MGB.

Organ donation..... lately this issue had been brought up again of a heart patient at IJN as she has been waiting more than a year for a suitable heart to continue her life and she only has another year to go at that time......

William, never heard from you that you are a organ donor since 18.....BTW which part of your organ you would like to donate?

For me, I have not sign up anything yet but would seriously consider it and also which part to donate....or we don't have a choice to choose which part to be donated???

Ivy said...

Hansac, you're so cute when you get so honest.

Anonymous said...

Me & my wife have signed up for organ donor 10 years ago. So go for it.

William said...

I will donate any organ that is useable.

Mr Tee said...

I have signed up as organ donor for almost 9 years for NZ. As in Malaysia, I can't recall if I have done the same.

As for heroes enquiry on option to choose what to donate.....sorry bro! Once you signed up, you are up for it...as long as the part is useable and healthy. Size does matter as well!

Blood donation, yes. MGB, migraine one can donate or not?

mygreatbuds said...

I am impressed with you all; William, SJ & Paul...already pledged your organs years ago.

Your courage has given me extra confidence.

I am hopeful soon my name is also in the list of donors...will make a declaration later.

Anonymous said...

Can anyone especially those who have signed up as an organ donor enlighten me of the following:

1) Mr A has signed up as an organ donor but when he died, the immediate family say "no" to the authority concerned to take away any organ from Mr A.

How can this conflict be resolved ?

Ir. Hanafi Ali said...

Mr. Tee:

What do you take for your migraine?

Panadol? Ponstan? Cafergot? Imigran?

Mr Tee said...

Hansac,
For migraine, I take ponstan. Most of the time I take it before hand cuz normally I can feel it 24 hrs before it attack. I have learnt some point massage but that doesn't really work for me. Orgasm does though!

Joseph,
Just make known to your dearest one that you have signed up as donor and that shd solve it.

Hei folks,
It's a blessing if your organ can be donated to help someone in this earthly world. It's not that simple to have the suitable match. It's much harder to find a matching organ than getting someone signed up as a donor. So don't hesitate to sign up!