Thursday, August 02, 2007

How Hansac Ended Up in SHS

I enrolled in Sacred Heart in 1985. I was from Tung Hua, and in late 1984 me and my mother moved to Oya Road, Mile 6 1/2, due to a family dispute.

My mother did not want me to go to Rosli Dhoby, as it was notorious with disciplinary problems, and not many came out of Rosli Dhoby successfully. After seeing the director at the Education Department (at that time in front of the current JKR office), I got a place at SHS. It was not difficult since I was joining Form 2, and Brother Albinus was famous for transferring *bad* students out of SHS and because of that places in higher forms are always available every year.

I was placed in 2A3. The names I still remember was Lim Ming Lay, Joseph Lau (where is he now?), Sia Wu, among a few. Sia Wu has an older brother, Sia Deng. I remember these names because it is uncommon to see Chinese to have only two parts in their Chinese names (right?).

LML, JL and I sat next to each across the room I think from Form 2 till Form 5 and I used to copy LML's Additional Maths homework, AFTER I saw JL did the same thing. It was a Japanese Learning Process, first you emulate, then you do it yourself. LML was the silent one, never fidgets, always in attention, when in class. I was surprised when he ended up as a civil engineer, I thought he would have made a great medical doctor. JL was the one with 8-inch thick glasses (his index was 600+), and when his glasses drop to the floor, the floor cracked.

I now remember the senior I had a crush on. I think she was in U6 and I was in F5 when I had that crush, because I remember getting and sending her a huge errrmmm well-wish card, and for the life of me, signing it off ONLY as "Your secret admirer". Yes, my courting skills then, (perhaps even now), leaves much to be desired.

6 comments:

Mr Tee said...

Ya, i remember her too (but no crush) and her younger sis was in our Form 6. The younger one resembles very much the elder. U definitely miss it for not joining us in Form 6 leh? But what the heck, we rule the after world as u said earlier? ;)

Sia Wei (not Wu). He is a medical doctor (graduated from India). Last I heard, he is somewhere in KCH.

Mr Tee said...

Oh, Joseph Lau is Dr Joseph Lau who now serve as a doc (man, how many docs we produced in our year huh?) in KK. Johnson Yap (remember him? used to be bic racer champion) has his contact. Email me if want JY contact.

Pat said...

Hansac, my impression of you those days were of a quiet boy who went about his own business diligently.

Now that boy has grown to an interesting, macho man who's going places :)

Ir. Hanafi Ali said...

Pat:

Who says I am no more a "quiet boy who went about his own business diligently"???

Do you remember or not me trying to get into the Computer Club? My reason at that time was only to play games on the Amstrad ha ha. But of course I didn't tell Mr. Ong that one. I told him (and you too!) that I wanted to learn programming.

Which I did, picking up BASIC and Dr. Logos.

I was not young enough to have used C and its variant for my engineering courses, and I remember writing 12,000 lines of Fortran and waiting three full days to have the bloody program compiled.

Kids nowadays have things easier, :P.

But getting into Computer Club at SHS was the exposure that I needed into the world of computers.

Dave said...

My God! It appears to me that you are in possession of impeccable memories as you have a clear recollection of yore.

I seldom take a trip down my memory lane especially in matters regarding my lovelorn first love which is always a sore point in my heart. Better to stay gaga.

Heroes said...

hey dave,
i knew u since we are in primary school at Sacred Heart Chinese, although we are not in the same class. I think u have some great sweet memories with our female classmate of primary school, am i right to say that? :-)

U should make a trip down or up to yr memory lane and to retrieve yr so-called 'idle' and 'uncorrupted' data from yr hard disc before it reached the limitation which would settle down at recycle bin.

If u encounter some technical problem on retrieving yr data, i might be able to assist u and do not hesitate to give a thinker....ok.. :-))