Friday, October 12, 2007

Childhood Obsession

At the start of the glorious 80's, I fell victim to a fad that occupied most of my Primary 4 and 5 years - the Rubik's cube. For those you who may not remember it, here's what it looks like:-



I was introduced to it by my uncle, and we spent hours together trying to solve it. Once I managed to do it, I tried to find all sort of ways to improve my speed, even to the extent of lubricating the surfaces with talcum powder.

It got so bad that one day my dad threw away my cube. I immediately went out and bought another one.

Later on, there was a competition organized to find the fastest Rubik's cube solver in Sibu. Me and my uncle signed up, and we both managed to reach the finals. But try as I might, the best I could achieve was around 1 minute. The winner of the competition managed to do it in about 30 seconds. This has to do with the different methods used to solve the cube.

Nowadays the cube is making a comeback, and there are loads of websites out there dedicated to it. The world record now stands at around 10 seconds, and some could do it blindfolded in less than a minute.

After the competition was over, my passion for the cube died down, but to this day I still have fond memories of playing around with it :)


Do you guys remember what were your childhood obsessions during the 80's?

3 comments:

Ivy said...

Thanks for bringing back the memories Pat.

I can't rmbr exactly the price of the rubik's cube back in the 80s, but becos my mum is a single parent, we didn't usually ask to buy thgs that were considered unnecessary. Still, she bought it for us.

I rmbr my elder sister insisted that my brother & I kept it in perfect condition. We had to wash our hands before playing with it and she didn't allow us to lend it to friends!

Wonder where it's gone now...still somewhere at my mum's house, I think.

Mr Tee said...

Pat,
Till today, my best shot is finishing one side only!

But my best childhood obsession is pc game and still is!

mygreatbuds said...

This is the only childhood game that I have not master ! arraggh..people say...tunow mana eh tan ?

Will go and buy one to prove they wrong...