Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Ivy's Power of 4

4 Jobs I’ve had in my life

  • 1st job was as an English teacher at International Tuition School right after Form 6. I loved teaching the kids…but like Ing Hee, I hated marking the students’ homework. I taught abt 5hrs a day, 4 days a week (I think…), was paid RM500. Not too bad lah hoh, 90s standards. Was with ITS for about 4 mths. The best part of the job was that, on my way to work I would usually bump into this real cute guy (yup, SHS boy…).


  • Next up, worked as a clerk with Sime Insurance Bhd, not sure if I remember the name of the company correctly. First experience with electronic type-writer. Quit in July 1991.
  • Then, came my stint with the bank - July 1991 to Aug 2000. Sibu-Kuching-Sibu. Worked with 2 different banks in that period, and will be forever grateful that I decided to leave that career.

  • Last job - personal assistant to CEO of a public listed company, and that’s where I finally understood the term “kang-kak-kong-si” (syarikat kosong, tapi listed!).

4 Favorite Food

a) egg tart (I love pastries!!)
b) honey bbq chicken wings at Jalan Song
c) my mum’s “chue-kiok-suen” (cantonese) – pork leg in black vinegar (no offence to our muslim friends!)
d) durian!!!


4 Places I’ve been on vacation to

a) Sydney } it’s a long story why we have repeatedly visited Sydney, but we still
b) Sydney } love the place, it holds very special moments for us
c) Sydney }
d) Shenzhen / Hong Kong / Macau

4 Favorite TV Shows

a) Grey’s Anatomy
b) BJ & the Bear
c) C.H.I.P.S
d) 7 Million Dollar Man

You can tell there isn’t much on TV these days that I like…

4 Places that I’ve lived in

Only 2 lah…..Sibu and Kuching

4 Movies that I would watch over & over

Don’t think there are movies that I would keep watching, but rather those I wouldn’t mind watching a 2nd time:
a) Legends of The Falls
b) Brave Heart
c) Sleepless in Seattle
d) can’t remember a fourth one…

4 Places I’d rather be right now…

a) on vacation with my whole family in Bali
b) watching the sunrise on the summit of Mt Kinabalu
c) having LOADS of seafood in Sydney
d) turn back the clock and be back in school days

4 of my favourite 80’s songs

a) Superwoman by Karen White – my all time favorite, I still turn my player full blast whenever it’s played on air.
b) You’re The Inspiration by Chicago
c) Conga by Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine
d) Making Love Out of Nothing by Air Supply

I have tonnes of favorites…just picking these at random. Actually, I like a lot of the 70’s songs by Beatles and Beach Boys.

4 Favorite memories of school days

  • I think it was in Primary 5, we had a friend who stayed at the govt houses near the end of Lanang Road. The river ran behind her house, and 4 or 5 of us (including Leh Ning and Alice Wong) used to sit and watch the river flow. I remember one conversation when we said that we would all meet there again one day.

  • Still in primary school years, there are 2 incidents which have never failed to come to mind. First, Alice broke her arm while playing the “Zero Point”, and the crazy thing is that we used to play it at the verandah of the 2nd storey of our school block!!
    Second, my class once had an argument with Audrey’s class (there were 2 classes for Primary 6), we ended up having a broom fight, talk about lady-like. Quite a number of the St.E girls who went on to SHS came from St.Rita Primary School at Jalan Bukit Assek.

  • Trips to Sand Bar. I can’t remember exactly who we went with or how we went over to that strip of sand, but I remember that’s what it was called back then – Sand Bar. I think there’s an abandoned school building there. It was the girl-boy place to go to…I think when I was in Form 1 or 2.

  • Meal time during out-door camping/trips. Being an extremely active girl guide, I went for every camping or outdoor trip I could. Even though meals were usually over-cooked maggi mee (cooked in one huge pot over wood fire) or just roti with kaya, or “soda-pia” (biscuits) with poorly made teh-boh – it was the best thing that I’ve ever tasted. I can still feel the early morning breeze of some remote place we went to and the smell of hot tea from one of those old metal kettle….hmmmm…who wants to go for an outdoor camping trip with me!!!

Aaahhh!! I’m finally done….hubby is looking at me with daggers in his eyes alrdy! Hansac, you are tagged, show your Power of 4!

9 comments:

mygreatbuds said...

Ivy, few things like to confirm or ask;
a) When can we have your mum cooking...? suggest have next reunion.
b) Sandbar...I think is the same Phang Chung Lim beach..as there is an abandon school nearby..is the place at the end of Lanang road ?
c) Tell me why Sydney 3X ? Is it because of the activities at King Cross road ? or Sydney opera house ?

Ya, on the camping...I bet you forgot about the luncheon meat..Maling brand ?? don't cook but make a sandwich roti...wow..it is very tasty...I still remember it when every time going camping, this is a must...

Ivy said...

Gr8buds...
a) mum is in Sibu...if I'm home next CNY you'll be in luck, I'll ask her to cook it just for you (eh jeh..)
b) really?? so I was trespassing on Kok Sey's property lah...or did the grp I went with included him? Can't remember.
c) why Sydney 3x? Got secret boyfriend there...heh heh..

Mmmm...yup yup, the "kuan-tou" food were no.1, baked beans, sardine...ooh. I few young again just thinking about it.

Pat said...

Jobs - haha, you hated the bank job that much, huh?

Food - egg tarts, do you mean the Portuguese one or the normal one? Wah, sounds like Kuching got loads of good food, must do a food trek there one day..

TV Shows - Thanks for the memories! I used to love CHIPS, and BJ & The Bear was a laugh, too! Eh, I think its 6 million, not 7 million leh...

Memories - wow, ........... thanks for sharing. I was really moved by the stories you chose to share.....the first one was especially touching.....did you guys ever did go back to the river.....

Ivy said...

Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha! Thks for the correction Pat, I thought there was something funny about it as I was typing but couldn't figure out what....have no idea why I remembered it as 7 iso 6!?

There's another one - remember Bionic Woman..?

mygreatbuds said...

Ivy, are you saying that you are not going for the 2008 reunion ? Choi...we are all gear up for the hugs,...remember ?

I can forgo the pork leg...but you must attend the 2008 reunion ! This is not a request but a requirement.

Heroes said...

Ivy,when i seen your one of your favourite 80's song : "Making Love Out of Nothing by Air Supply"...ARE U SURE???? :-O If yes...Could I.....ha ha ha....just kidding...

By the way, on the upper lanang river, i can confirmed that u r not with me and we were not sit together to make a wish that we would come back one day.... BUT i might be behind watching u all...heheh..... :-) Anyway, it's the same place we mentioned and good to have a common sweet memories there but different group of friends....

"Broom Fight"....wow...it must be very interesting but i m sure u can't fight with Audrey lar....am i right??

I liked Sydney too....but we didn't know that we were staying at the hottest place called "King Cross" of Sydney until we came back to Kuching.....What a waste hor, greatbuds!!!

Ivy said...

Heroes, your imagination running wild alrdy. Sitting by the river was with my primary sch frens lah...of course lah not you.

But the Sand Bar one I'm not so sure...I do rmbr some of the guys who went with us - Barnabas Tiong, Jacob Tiang...u cld've been there too.

In response to Gr8buds "order".... **diam diam, tak berani jawab**

Vincent Wong said...

Ivy, talking about Sandbar, I still have the photo with me, back home in Sibu. I only remember me, you, your bro. Eddy, Ya Lang and so on (can't recall). We're really having fun at that time...

Ivy said...

Hi Vincent! I'm soooo glad we've caught up on Facebook. You really must get that photo from Sibu and post it on this blog one of these days...I totally have no recollection of it!

Please keep staying on the blog!